Posted by FLATOUT JIM
Imagine the elation to shatter that race goal, only to then experience disappointment over just missing your dream, or stretch goal.
That must be how my friend Heather feels after running our local Provincial Marathon last weekend. Hoping to break the 4 hour mark, she shattered it by about 8 and a half minutes, only to realize that she missed Boston by less than 1 and a half minutes.
What really makes this is cool story is that
1. She also topped the podium in her AG, after never even so much as winning a ribbon at sports day in school.
2. The course is not an ideal qualifying course. There is a long hilly out and back stretch that zaps the bounce right out of your legs.
3. Conditions were less than idea. It was cool and wet, and there was a bit of a breeze blowing. A good portion of the course is open.
4. The race was held less than a week after IGOR blew into town. Everyone’s schedules were disrupted, and running a marathon was not number one on most peoples minds.
5. She work in the media industry meaning that her taper week was spent working extra hours at the news desk covering the hurricane.
So Congratulations to Heather, and readers beware, in your next race, you just might exceed or even blow away your expectations.